Provençal mussels or tomato sauce
Here is a Number one recipe at my husband’s, if I am, the mussels in tomato sauce or the At mussels Provençale can be on the lunch table every week, luckily for me our local fishery doesn’t bring them back all the time. It’s not that I don’t like mussels, on the contrary, except that my children don’t like their smells when cooking.
This week, my husband bought beautiful mussels, very large and very melting at the same time. I took advantage of making this recipe for mussels a la provençale for lunch, while the children were at school, and luckily I was able to quickly take photos before my husband came in and share this summer recipe with you.
As I had a good quantity of mussels, I also made a very small quantity of marinière mussels, because the mussels are very fragile and it is difficult to preserve them without losing all their nutritional qualities.
To be very frank, personally I prefer the version of mussels with Provencal sauce, just like my husband, we like the pep that this tasty tomato sauce brings.
If you have a large quantity of mussels and you want to preserve them, here is how to do it. keep the mussels:
– First clean and scrape the mussels under plenty of water.
– boil the mussels in a little water, after cooking, the shells which remain closed, it is better not to keep them and throw them away: these mussels are not good to eat.
– Once the sorting is done, remove the mussels from their shells, let them cool, and place them in a tightly closed box in the refrigerator, with their juices. This way you can keep them for up to 48 hours. Mussels preserved in this way will be perfect in a soup or in a stew.
For freeze the mussels, we do as above, we must cook them, and sort them. Remove the mussels from their shells and place them in a freezer bag or an airtight container and cover them with the cooking juices or lemon juice. Frozen like this, you can keep them for up to three months.
The day when you finally want to taste the mussels, thaw them slowly in the refrigerator, so that the mussels will retain their taste and their nutritional properties.
how to taste and with what to serve mussels à la provençale?
My husband likes it a lot when I accompany this dish of mussels with fries, I rather like to accompany them with pasta, spaghetti, or even rice.
Otherwise for a light meal, you can just accompany these mussels with a good fresh salad.
You can of course prepare this recipe from Provencal mussels with Thermomix:
- place the garlic and the onion cut in 2 in the bowl and mix 5 sec/ speed 5.
- add olive oil and fry 3 min / 90˚C / spoon speed.
- add the celery and mix 3 sec / speed 5
- Add the drained crushed tomatoes, Provencal herbs, thyme, black pepper and salt, stir 17 mins / 100°/
- When the timer stops, place the mussels in the Varoma and place the latter on the bowl. Adjust 10 mins / Varoma / speed 1. Serve immediately the mussels coated with sauce and sprinkled with fresh thyme.
Mussels Provencal-tomato sauce
For the pasta:
- 250 gr pasta of your choice
- 1 vs. coffee salt
- 1 vs. coffee table oil
- boiling water
- 2 vs. tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 pods garlic chopped
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of thyme chopped fresh
- black pepper crushed
- salt to season
- 1 box of crushed tomato otherwise 4 fresh tomatoes
- 1 vs. a soup of canned tomato
- 500 gr molds cleaned and brushed
Put enough water to boil in a large saucepan
at the first boil, add the salt and the oil, then the pasta, stir so that it does not stick.
Drain and set aside when the pasta is al dente
Prepare the sauce while the pasta is cooking:
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the onion, garlic, celery and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
brown for 5 minutes then add a little water and the chopped tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
Add the mussels and cover with an airtight lid or if you don’t have a lid, use aluminum foil.
Cook for 4-6 minutes or until the mussels open. If there are mussels that remain closed, throw them away.
Use a slotted spoon and transfer the cooked open mussels to a bowl, and cover with aluminum foil.
Place the drained pasta in the pan with the sauce and toss to evenly coat the pasta and cook for a minute or two.
To serve, divide the pasta and sauce among the 4 serving plates and garnish each with the cooked mussels.
Decorate with fresh herbs if desired and serve immediately hot.
I have selected some seafood recipes for you:
Thank you for your feedback
You have tried one of my recipes, send me the photos on my email:
If you want to receive the recipes of my quick and easy cooking blog, subscribe to my newsletter:
Algerian fried cakes5 days ago
My Algerian cakes Aid el fitr 2014
Moroccan food1 week ago
tajine of chicken roll with meat and mushrooms
Various kitchen2 months ago
Zucchini stuffed with minced meat
Moroccan food3 weeks ago
Eggplant zaalouk of Moroccan cuisine
Algerian fried cakes3 weeks ago
balah el sham, or Turkish tulumba with honey
Algerian fried cakes2 months ago
makrout laassel with almonds (Algerian cake)
Moroccan food2 months ago
chicken with candied lemon (tagine in the oven)
Various kitchen2 months ago
Kefta skewers, minced meat skewer