quick and easy gratin dauphinois recipe
We are going to see the recipe for easy, very creamy and very melting gratin dauphinois. Which you can enjoy with a simple fresh salad, grilled meats or baked chicken drumsticks for a complete meal.
Who has not tasted a delicious potato gratin made by the care of his mother or grandmother a side dish that was always present on our evening family meal table with either roast chicken or chicken drumsticks in the oven.
For me, the gratin dauphinois marked my childhood a lot. My mother often made it, but to be honest, it was just with milk at the time, because it’s not fresh cream that we were going to find so easily!
At a certain point, my mother no longer made gratin dauphinois, because at home they preferred a dish in the oven like batata kbab or even shepherd’s pie.
Suddenly the recipe for gratin dauphinois was shelved, which was a real shame because this dish is a real delight, but when there are 8 people at home and 6 votes outweigh 2 (my mother and I at the time) we had to follow the choice of the majority.
Over time, as I told you, I forgot this recipe, and it was only with blogs and the internet that I rediscovered it and what a pleasure it was for me to make my first creation on my own without my mother on my head to control the size of the potato slices and how I cut them, hihihihi.
I had learned a lot of tips and ideas from one blog to another that I applied to each realization, but I believe that the video of Chief Damian of the site 750g in the company of pascal from the blog scally helped me a lot.
And it was the recipe that I had adopted for years and that I am happy to keep and share with you.
Why am I telling you this, because my oven is not the most famous, I still haven’t managed to find the right electric oven that can cook my dish properly and evenly without parallel damage.
This recipe for potato gratin easy and quick often finds its place on my table and my meal idea board or weekly menu.
My children like it a lot, especially to accompany chops, baked turkey, or a leg of lamb when it’s a celebratory meal like Christmas dinner or just merguez sausages for a quick meal!
My children don’t like mashed potatoes at all, nor the mashed potatoes which I like the most and which I of course find faster to make than a gratin dauphinois.
Ingredients of the traditional gratin dauphinois:
– Potatoes : use fresh potatoes, floury which will give creaminess to the dish, a potato which absorbs well the cream in which it will cook and which will be very melting after cooking.
– Cream and milk : I always prefer the milk and cream mixture for a good cooking and a lot of creaminess, do not use only milk in this preparation, you will not have the same result.
– Black pepper
– grated nutmeg, I like freshly grated nutmeg, it gives all the flavor to the dish.
– Garlic : to flavor the dish, I like to rub the bottom of the dish with it and it will give a lot of flavor to the dish.
– Butter : to butter the dish before depositing the mixture to cook.
How to prepare a delicious gratin dauphinois?
Today we are going to see the traditional recipe for gratin dauphinois, a recipe without cheese and without bechamel sauce. A recipe for gratin dauphinois based on liquid cream that will give all that creaminess to the dish.
– Preheat your oven to 180°C.
– Wash the potatoes under plenty of water. Peel them then wipe them with a clean towel.
– Cut them into very thin and regular slices.
Note: Above all, do not wash them at this stage because you must not get rid of the starch which will bind the sauce and make the gratin tender and give it a nice color during cooking.
– Place the potato slices in a saucepan, add the milk and cream mixture. The liquid should just cover the potatoes.
– Salt and add the freshly grated nutmeg.
– Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to make sure the potatoes don’t stick to the bottom, and especially don’t break them!
– Rub a gratin dish with the garlic clove then butter it generously.
– Check the seasoning of the potato mixture then pour the contents of the pan into the gratin dish.
– Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the potatoes are soft and the top is golden.
other recipes for gratins and oven dishes:
quick and easy gratin dauphinois recipe
- 1 kg potatoes
- 400 ml of milk
- 100 ml liquid cream
- 1 garlic clove cut in half
- Salt and nutmeg
- butter for the dish and for browning the gratin
Preheat your oven to 180°C
Peel the potatoes then wipe them with a clean cloth (wash them well before peeling them)
Cut them into very thin and regular slices.
Do not wash them at this stage because you must not get rid of the starch which will bind the sauce and make the gratin melting and give it a nice color during cooking.
place the potato slices in a saucepan, add the milk and cream mixture.
The liquid should just cover the potatoes.
Salt and add the freshly grated nutmeg.
Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to make sure the potatoes don’t stick to the bottom. but above all do not break them!
Rub a gratin dish with the garlic clove then butter it generously.
Check the seasoning of the potato mixture then pour the contents of the pan into the gratin dish.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and the top golden.
This recipe for potato gratin simple and easy will make you happy, don’t forget to give me your opinion on it.
You have tried one of my recipes, send me the photos on my email:
If you want to receive the recipes of my quick and easy cooking blog, subscribe to my newsletter:
Algerian fried cakes5 days ago
My Algerian cakes Aid el fitr 2014
Moroccan food1 week ago
tajine of chicken roll with meat and mushrooms
Moroccan food3 weeks ago
Eggplant zaalouk of Moroccan cuisine
Various kitchen2 months ago
Zucchini stuffed with minced meat
Various kitchen3 weeks ago
Lebanese tabbouleh / varied salad with Bulgur
Algerian fried cakes2 weeks ago
makrout of Tlemcen – Love of cooking
Moroccan food2 months ago
Batbout Moroccan bread with flour
Algerian fried cakes2 months ago
makrout laassel with almonds (Algerian cake)