oven roasted shoulder of lamb
If you feel like Successful cooking of oven-roasted shoulder of lamb, I highly recommend this recipe. With this cooking of the shoulder of lamb first of all in water with a delicious seasoning, in an ovenproof casserole, then the lid of the casserole is removed to let the meat take on a magnificent golden color.
With this double cooking, always in the oven, once smothered in the ovenproof casserole and then in a very humid environment to give a nice golden color and roast lamb shoulderwe finally get a very tender meat in the mouth, a very juicy meatwell seasoned and well flavored.
I remember seeing this recipe on the 2M channel which broadcast a cooking show by chef Choumicha that I followed a lot before I got married, I did not follow it to learn how to cook, because at the time and with my studies, I I didn’t have time for cooking, but I followed her, because I really liked her way of cooking, the finesse of the preparation and presentation of these delicious dishes.
And since I’ve always been a woman who learned quickly from the visual, the day my husband brought back this shoulder of lamb, I tried a little to imitate Choumicha to roast the shoulder of lamb without too much of damage, I made with the spices and seasoning that I had at home, and fortunately, it was a great success, because the meat was more than juicyin addition it was well seasoned and very tasty.
You can present the recipe with fries or a delicious creamy mashed potato. Otherwise why not mashed potatoes. For us this time it was with baked potato as my husband likes it.
How to successfully cook the whole shoulder of lamb roasted in the oven?
The meat of the shoulder of lamb is much more tender and easier to cook than the leg, and although you can just season the whole shoulder of lamb, by rubbing it with salt and black pepper, spicing here and there halves of garlic and small sprigs of rosemary and bake exactly as I do with this recipe for baked leg of lamb, but personally I much prefer the method I’m going to share with you.
In the two cookings, the meat is very tender, but my husband finds that with the cooking of the shoulder of lamb as I am going to pass on to you, the meat is even juicier, and above all very rich in flavor.
I cook in a casserole dish for chicken and turkey, a fairly large oval casserole dish with a lid. I put the shoulder of lamb in it and start playing like my beloved witch, hihihi:
- we cut a large onion or 2 medium into strips and add on the shoulder.
- add salt and ground black pepper generously on top. And if you have whole black peppercorns throw them on top.
- add a stick of cinnamon, 3 bay leaves, a few sprigs of rosemary, a few cloves of garlic cut in half, and a few slices of candied lemon, or fresh lemon.
- Add green chilli and a little powdered ginger if you like.
- As the shoulder of lamb is quite fatty, I only add a few slices of butter on top, but if you want to put a drizzle of olive oil, that’s a choice.
- cover with water up to half of the shoulder, put the lid on and place in a preheated oven at 200 ˚C. I put my oven on convection and place the covered casserole on the middle shelf. If your oven is static or a gas oven, put it at 180˚C and also place the casserole dish in the middle of the oven.
- We cook for almost 2 hours, depending on the weight of the shoulder of lamb, and half-time (at least 45 minutes after the batch, we turn the shoulder on the 2nd side, and we check the water in the casserole, it must not be dry.
- After 1 hour and a half of total cooking in the oven, we check if the meat is well cooked, and there we remove the lid, to let the shoulder of lamb roast and take on a nice browning, we turn after to brown the other face. For me it’s always convection, but if your oven is a static or gas oven, at this stage you have to light it from above.
- If there is a lot of water left in the pan, especially when you want to turn the shoulder of lamb on the second rib to brown, remove the water, but do not throw it away, you can keep it in a jar in the fridge , because it is a meat broth extremely tasty, which you can use in any dish. Or like me, I use it directly to baste my potato dish before putting it in the oven (clickable link above).
- After the shoulder of lamb has been fully cooked, remove the casserole from the oven, make sure that there is no water left in it apart from the cooking juices, close and leave to rest for at least 30 minutes before tasting . The meat is so tender that it will easily come off the bone.
My husband prefers the shoulder to the lamb when it comes to cooking in the oven, because the meat of the shoulder has more fat, and suddenly all this fat melts during cooking to give a juicy and melt-in-the-mouth meat. .
But in fact the success of the cooking of one or the other will depend on the way of proceeding, a frying pan in the shelf at the bottom with a little water will give a humidity which will allow the meat to remain tender and melting, especially if cooked slowly in an ovenproof dish without a lid. So watch and add water whenever there is none left.
Be careful every time you open the oven, because the steam formed by the water is hot, but we want this steam to stay in the oven and not escape each time you open the oven, otherwise we will end up with the same result, meat that is too dry, so only open the oven when necessary.
Some will tell you to prick into the meat to add the spices… No, the more you are going to prick into the meat, especially where it is not necessary, it will create a path from which the meat juice will escape and it will give a dry meat too. If you want to flavor the meat with garlic, rosemary or whatever you want, try to prick between 2 muscles, and there, you will in fact separate the two muscles without cutting into them, so that the juice stays inside.
I pass you other recipes in the oven:
Remark: This recipe also disappeared from my blog during my transfer from over-blog to wordpress, and that’s why I’m republishing it again.
Oven-roasted whole shoulder of lamb (melting meat)
- 1 Lamb shoulder Whole
- 1 onion big
- 100 gr butter + or – depending on the size of the shoulder
- 1 vs. coffee from ginger in powder
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 4 leaves laurel
- 2 seed pods garlic
- rosemary some branches
- 1/2 lemon confit
- 1 vs. coffee black pepper whole grains
- water for cooking
place the shoulder of lamb in an oval casserole dish
cut a large onion or 2 medium into strips and add to the shoulder.
add salt and ground black pepper generously on top. And if you have whole black peppercorns throw them on top.
add a cinnamon stick, 3 bay leaves, a few sprigs of rosemary, a few cloves of garlic cut in half, and a few slices of candied lemon, or fresh lemon.
add green chilli and a little powdered ginger.
garnish with a few slices of butter or a drizzle of olive oil.
cover half of the shoulder with water, put the lid on and put in a preheated oven at 200˚C on the middle shelf.
cook for almost 2 hours, depending on the weight of the shoulder of lamb, and half-time (at least 45 minutes after the batch, turn the shoulder on the 2nd side, and check the water in the casserole, it must not be dry.
After 1 hour and a half of total cooking in the oven, check if the meat is well cooked, and there we remove the lid, to let the shoulder of lamb roast and take a beautiful gilding, we turn after to brown the other side .
After the shoulder of lamb has been fully cooked, remove the casserole from the oven, make sure that there is no water left in it apart from the cooking juices, close and leave to rest for at least 30 minutes before tasting
You have tried one of my recipes, send me the photos on my email:
If you want to receive the recipes of my quick and easy cooking blog, subscribe to my newsletter:
Algerian fried cakes5 days ago
My Algerian cakes Aid el fitr 2014
Moroccan food1 week ago
tajine of chicken roll with meat and mushrooms
Moroccan food3 weeks ago
Eggplant zaalouk of Moroccan cuisine
Various kitchen2 months ago
Zucchini stuffed with minced meat
Algerian fried cakes3 weeks ago
balah el sham, or Turkish tulumba with honey
Moroccan food2 months ago
chicken with candied lemon (tagine in the oven)
Various kitchen2 months ago
Kefta skewers, minced meat skewer
Various kitchen3 weeks ago
Lebanese tabbouleh / varied salad with Bulgur